Please take a moment to read through this page before calling our offices as many of your questions can be answered with the below information. We do not offer licensure information, you will need to contact DSHS directly for questions of that nature.
Orientation: If you have not taken the Orientation to Adult Family Home Administrator Program class in the last year you will need to. There are no prerequisites for this class.
Administrator Course: Once you have completed the Orientation to Adult Family Home Administrator Program class you will need to enroll in the Adult Family Home Administrator Course.
The prerequisite to taking Adult Family Home Administrator Course is that you provide Continuing Education with a copy of your transcripts showing college-level English (English 97 or higher) or take the English proficiency test. Transcript must be from a United States institution. If you do not have a transcript from a United States institution you will need to take the English Proficiency test. A copy of your transcript or test results must be submitted to and receipt confirmed by the Continuing Education office one week prior to your scheduled course start date.
Where to Send Transcripts: Please email a copy of your United States official or unofficial transcripts to: email@example.com.
How to take the English Proficiency Test: While the North Seattle College Testing Center is currently closed, students who need to show proof of English proficiency will need to take an online assessment.
- You can pay the $35 fee online and then you will be given access to the test.
- Once the fee is paid you will be sent the login information within one week to start the test online and will have 2 hours to complete the test.
- You will be notified of your pass or fail status via email.
- You can familiarize yourself with the English-only section of the CASAS test and format of the test here.
Current Quarter Offerings:
Please note: If a class is full, you have the option to be added to a waitlist by clicking on the “Add to Wait List” button from the class description page. The wait list does not guarantee enrollment in the class, nor does it move you to registered status in a future quarter. Being on a wait list is different from being registered for a class and there is no guarantee that a spot will open to you so please register, pay for your classes, and get the required documentation to us early to avoid delays. If you need more general help on the registration process click here.
About the Adult Family Home Administrator Course:
The Administrator Training is a 54-hour non-credit class. All training materials are provided. Each student receives a certificate upon successful completion of the course, and this certificate has no expiration date. For current AFH resident managers, this course is strongly suggested but not required by DSHS. Participants must have access to high speed internet, a microphone, and web camera for each session.
Examples of Topics Covered
- Instruction on the inspection processes required for licensing
- Aspects of what is needed to run a business: for example, readiness, feasibility, marketing, and finance
- Laws and regulations relating to staffing, residents rights, assessments, medication administration, recreational activities, nutrition, building inspection and the initial inspection
Online training is temporarily being offered due to COVID-19.